Monday, June 17, 2013

Clean eating...





MotivationMonday




 
Happy Monday!! Wait....wasn't it just Friday?!?!?!?!  This weekend was a busy one for us!  I took Liv to work with me, on Saturday, for some OT.  The firm I work for is purging files.  Ummm....files from way back in the early 80's!  Needless to say, we are nowhere near done.  Liv had the time of her life.  One thing that girl is, a VERY  hard worker.  She worked her behind off for hour hours straight. The senior partner gave her $20 for all of her hard work.  She was pleased as punch!! After working, we ran home to shower and hit the road for STL!  We treated daddy to a night away in a hotel and yummy food.  We also hit the zoo.  We got home Sunday afternoon and had to run to Old Navy and Sam's Club.  After that, we cooked out.  Ray had a humongous steak and we had salmon.  It was a wonderful weekend!! 




 



 

At Old Navy, I tried on a bikini.  You probably are wondering, "does she really need another bikini".  NOT REALLY, but I have a lot that are too big in my booty!  SO...I do need a few.  This bikini was kind of a reward for my clean eating.  I guess I just really saw a difference in my body.  I actually thought I looked pretty lean and my cellulite wasn't making me want to puke.  And...the bikini only cost me $14!  It was a good day!  After I posted the pic on IG, I got some requests about what I eat, when I eat clean.  So I thought I would do a little research and post it for you.  I am not by the book, all the time, but I still to the following guidelines.  I actually discovered that I already ate pretty clean, when I did the Advocare Cleanse.  If you read my blog, you know I didn't last but 3 days on it.  BUT....I did keep up my healthy eating.  I just couldn't handle what all that fiber did to my stomach. I was bloated and SO miserable.  With clean eating, you will notice less cravings for the sweet stuff and the "bad" stuff.  I also drink way less wine and don't ever crave a glass.  You will see a difference in your skin and hair as well.  I think the most noticeable thing for me, is how full I feel.  I  mean it, I am never really hungry.  I will eat a grilled chicken breast, string beans and whole grain rice for lunch, and be full for hours.  The hardest part about eating clean for me, is all the prepping.  You are making all of your food, so that takes time.  BUT....it is SO worth it!!




Here are nine things to follow, when trying to eat clean: (information was provided by ehow.com)


1. Eat six small meals a day: breakfast, lunch, dinner and three snacks. Try to eat every few hours to curb hunger and promote a higher metabolism.

2. Choose whole grains and complex carbohydrates to give you more energy and keep you feeling fuller longer. Remember that whole wheat is not necessarily whole grain. Look for breads, rice and pasta that are not just brown, but also made with 100% whole grains. One serving is about the size of your closed fist.
3. Leave calorie-filled, non-nutritional "junk food" at the grocery store. If you buy fresh foods, you will eat fresh foods.
             

4. Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you want. Try to add one serving, about a handful, of each per meal. Fruits also make great snacks because they are full of natural sugar and can help fight those afternoon sugar cravings.
            

5. Eat lean meats, chicken and fish whenever possible, staying away from processed and fatty meats. This will give you much needed protein with little fat. One serving is about the size of you palm.

             
6. Read labels. Look at calorie counts but also look at nutritional value and ingredients. Try to avoid foods with white flour, sugar and sugar substitutes, saturated fats and trans-fats.
             

7. Take small bags of unsalted almonds, cashews and walnuts with you to work so you don't get tempted by vending machines and break room junk food.

             
8. Check Internet sites, libraries and bookstores for recipes to keep your new lifestyle fresh and flavorful.

             
9. Give yourself a "cheat day" but remember not to go overboard. Allow yourself a meal out with friends or a special food, but try not to undo all your hard work from the rest of the week. Enjoy being healthy!


Some items I always have on hand:

Tons of fresh veggies and frozen ones.  Avoid the canned one, they have hidden crap in them.  Chicken breasts, fish, pork chops, ground turkey, whole grain bread, pasta and rice.  Make sure the label says whole grain.  I also keep pb2 and all natural peanut butter on hand.  Old fashioned oats and steel cut oats are also always on hand.  Once you start eating clean or "cleaner", it gets easy.  It becomes a way of life.  And now is the time to give it a try with all that fresh produce available in the summer months! 







Hope you all had a great weekend!  I sure missed being able to see my dad this weekend. :(  BUT.....we will be poolside, in Florida, with him, in 4 weeks!







XO,
LOri


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome weekend! You look amazing in that bikini! Thanks for linking up!

    Tiff
    thefittrain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, new followers from the Monday blog hop! You look great and have adorable kids too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such good tips! I needed this today! Wish you could have been with your Daddy yesterday, too BUT... soon enough you will be ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always love your posts, Lori! Such great reminders, tips and so much inspiration. You motivate me!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, I just adore you!!! Thank you for always being so sweet!!!

      Delete
  5. Great post! Do you eat dairy when you eat clean (are those blackberries with cottage cheese)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I try and stick with just Fage Greek yogurt and Almond milk. BUT....I am not perfect and will have ice cream! That pic is blackberries on my steel cut oats. SO YUMMY!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for linking up, sweetie! What is mixed in with the peaches?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your clean eating foods :) And what a cute family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was with you right until you said you drank less wine and didn't crave it...LOL (just kidding..sort of) Seriously you look awesome and I'm hoping to get this bootie back in a bikini soon for our trip this Fall to the Cayman Islands. Only problem is my husband is like the worst at bringing in bad stuff in this house...ugh! Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori,

    Hi. I guess I needed to come across your article to feel a little better today. I have been feeling really low especially within the last 2 weeks because my husband constantly reminds me how he wants me to lose 40 pounds.

    We have been married less than a year now and I am the same weight as when we first got married, but NOW its an issue? It is to the point that I can't really eat in front of him because he gives me a look like I don't even deserve to eat... like I am failing him because to eat means to continue being fat. I know that sounds crazy.

    I asked him what diet plan he wanted me to follow. He suggested that I limit my entire daily food intake to a single piece of fruit for breakfast and a small salad for lunch... (that is like less than 500 calories??) He said if I want to lose weight I need to made a big sacrifice. Then he is always making remarks like "I don't know why you are trying to lose weight, to me, its only a fantasy that will never come true." He said "I guess I should just give up on the idea that you will ever lose weight."

    I have a Masters Degree and a professional job. I go to church several times a week and I always try to help other people. I love my husband and I try to bend over backwards to be loving to him and treat him well. But it just seems like (to my husband) the only thing that matters is what my weight is. His remarks make me feel more distanced from him and I feel like my marriage is with a stranger, not with someone that I want to confide in because it feels like he can't love me for me. I made a commitment to God when I married my husband. To me, divorce is not an alternative. I guess what makes me so sad is knowing that even if I lost the 40 pounds that he wants me to lose, it hurts my soul to know that he is only interested in appearances and not the core of who I am as a person. Ouch.. that stings :( .

    I just wanted to vent and get your thoughts on this. And of course to see if anyone else out there was going thru something similar?

    Thanks!
    AKR

    ReplyDelete